giovedì 11 luglio 2013

Lazy readings that make me feel like home

As I've been reading Agatha Christie (15 September 1890 – 12 January 1976) a lot, I had the idea of listing the books of her I'm most fond of. I really enjoy reading her books, let's say she gets into my mind and into my way of thinking. Her only weakness is that somehow she wrote for the big public, and I wouldn't consider her work literature whatsoever, as instead are, for example, Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Doyle's every word in every line is very close to the best it could be. Agatha Christie, on the other hand, seems to have rules on the number of words of each novel, which forces her sometimes to fill some holes here and there. Probably the only book she wrote I could consider literature is Curtain, Poirot's last adventure, written in the early 1940's and published in 1975 shortly before her death. The reason is simple: she didn't feel forced in any way as she didn't want to publish it anytime soon. Still I think she was a genius. She put so much strength in the ideas she got that sometimes she manages to get me dizzy and to make me miss the very very simple truth. Unfortunately I cannot be very detailed here, for I don't want to spoil the fun to anyone of you :-)

My favourite Agatha Christie's books so far are the following.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Murder on the Links
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Peril at End House
Murder on the Orient Express
Taken at the Flood
Third Girl
Curtain

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento